Ojos Negros – Spain´s longest greenway
Discover in a single trip three important provinces of Spain: Teruel, Castellón and Valencia.
This bike tour takes you to Teruel where you will appreciate its architecture declared World Heritage by UNESCO. You will cross incredible and changing landscape from Teruel´s boundless plains to the mythical mountain Sierra de Javalambre. You will enjoy Palancia river, the most important of Castellón, and the spectacular Natural Parks Sierra Espadán and Sierra Calderona. In Valencia you will be conquered by the Mediterranean Sea.
Characteristics of the route: tailor-made
- Duration: 6 days, 5 nights and 4 stages
- Level: Intermediate
- Total distance: 250 Km approx.
- Slope: +1.600 approx.
- Start: Teruel
- End: Valencia
Itinerary by days
- Day 1: Check-in and briefing in Teruel.
- Day 2: Stage Teruel – Estación Mora (47 Km).
- Day 3: Stage Estación Mora – Segorbe (67 Km).
- Day 4: Stage Segorbe – Pto. Sagunto/Canet (44 Km).
- Day5: Stage Pto. Sagunto/Canet– Valencia (40 Km).
- Day 6: Check-out and farewell.
- Optional: add an extra night to rest at the end of your route and return home the next day.
- Rutometer/Map (track).
- Liability insurance.
- Accident insurance.
- Accommodation and breakfasts at 3*or 4* hotels.
- Luggage transfer from lodging to lodging.
- Mechanical assistance (only in serious cases) from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
- Telephone assistance 24/7.
- Route´s briefing
- Collection in case of abandonment.
- Mechanical assistance.
- Electric bike rental (e-Bike)
- Conventional bicycle rental
- Additional night at the end of the route – MP not included
- Single supplement .
- Group’s transfer from Valencia to the starting point.
- Personal guide.
- Starting time stage 1: 9:00 AM
- Helmet, comfortable and reflective clothing, sun glasses, water bottle, energy bar, sunscreen, small backpack, gloves… Have you forgotten? Don´t worry, we have them.
- Recommended period to do the route: All year
Day 1: Relax in Teruel
We welcome you in Valencia and take you to Teruel. We do the tour ́s briefing with a detailed explanation of your experience and deliver you the equipment.
Teruel, home of The Lovers of Teruel, capital of Mudéjar art and Word Heritage by UNESCO. There you will enjoy not only Teruel´s cultural and architectural heritage such as Escalinata Neomudéjar Torre del Salvador, Plaza del Tórico, Los Amantes de Teruel, Catedral de Santa María de Mediavilla, Puente de Piedra and Portal de San Roque but also its cuisine in which the truffle plays an important role.
Day 2- stage 1 Teruel- Estación Mora
You leave Teruel in direction to La Estación Mora. On your way you will cross Pista de Fuente Cerrada, a recreational area with pine forest and river vegetation. Then you climb up to Puerto de Escandón, an old mining railway station and cross Sierra Javalambre. You go down to Puebla de Valverde passing through La Fondica de la Estación, an old mining station with an outdoor terrace next to the greenway Ojos Negros. This is a nice place to rest and eat. From Puebla de Valverde to Sarrión and Albentosa you will cross spectacular stone bridges, viaducts and tunnels. You will ride surrounded by a wonderful landscape of kerme oaks. The biggest production of Black Truffle in the word is found in this area. You arrive to la Estación Mora, where you will spend the night. Here you can live experiences such as truffle tourism and astrotourism. Because this is a region of low light density, here you will enjoy the starriest sky in Spain.
Day 3- stage 2 Estación Mora-Segorbe
Your trip takes you to Segorbe, a town with a city center declared Heritage of Cultural Interest and capital of Alto Palancia. Much of this route is downhill. You will cross the tunnel of Albentosa and at the end you find an impressive viaduct (the highest of the greenway which offers you a spectacular view. When you reach the old mine station El Palancar you are entering in the province of Castellón. On your way you cross El Palancar forest, an important area of Quejigos (Valencian oaks) and kerme oaks. You will pass through charming villages such as Barracas, Caudiel, Jérica and Navajas. From the outlook of Ragudo you will enjoy the incredible views of the Natural Parks Sierra Calderona and Sierra Espadán. Once you pass Jérica you return to the greenway and turn on the left to cross the amazing Regajo reservoir in direction to Navajas. There you will enjoy the amazing natural site El Salto de la Novia (a 60 m waterfall). In Navaja´s square you find the spectacular Elm of Navajas – planted in 1636 as a symbol of union between the existing inhabitants and those who arrived. The Elm of Navajas was chosen the tree of the year 2019 of Spain and the third in Europe. You leave Navajas and cross the spectacular Sierra Calderona Natural Park to reach Segorbe. This town will receive you with its impressive architectural heritage declared of Cultural Interest. Leisure afternoon to stroll around Segorbe´s old town.
Day 4- stage 3 Segorbe-Pto. Sagunto/Canet
From Segorbe to Canet the tour takes you through inland villages such as Algimia de Alfara, Torres-Torres, Los Valles always surrounded by fields of orange trees and Sierra Calderona Natural Park. In Canet D`Enberenguer you will be welcomed by the Mediterranean Sea. You will enjoy its wonderful promenade as well as Canet´s beach, one of the most beautiful beaches of Spain and the one with more Blue Flags. We also recommend you to visit the lighthouse (30 m high), Saavedra Palace (from the 19th century) as well as Saint Peter´s church (from the 18th century).
Day 5- stage 4 Pto. Sagunto/Canet-Valencia
You leave Canet D`Enberenguer to pedal through the Vía Churra and Vía Augusta. On your way you ride alongside the Mediterranean Sea and across the heart of the Valencian vegetable garden. You reach Valencia, the birthplace of Joaquín Sorolla and Blasco Ibáñez. If you didn´t have time to visit Valencia on the first day, we remind you that it´s a city that combines past and modernity. On the one hand, its impressive UNESCO Heritage, its architectural and historical buildings such as the Cathedral of Valencia, Tribunal de las Aguas, la Lonja, Torre de los Serranos, Plaza de Toros de Valencia and Mercado Central. By the other hand, modernity reflected in La Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias, an architectural, cultural and entertainment complex designed by Santiago Calatrava and Félix Candela. Another characteristic element of Valencia of great social, landscape architecture and environmental importance is the Turia riverbed, known as the lung of Valencia.
Day 6- Valencia trendy
After breakfast end of the trip. Get in touch with us if you want to spend some extra nights to enjoy Valencia.
Valencia combines past and modernity. On the one hand, its impressive UNESCO Heritage, its architectural and historical buildings such as the Cathedral of Valencia, Tribunal de las Aguas, la Lonja, Torre de los Serranos, Plaza de Toros de Valencia and Mercado Central. By the other hand, modernity reflected in La Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias, an architectural, cultural and entertainment complex designed by Santiago Calatrava and Félix Candela.
- Fill in the booking form with your reservation data.
- Click on “Check availability”. Your reservation will be added to the cart. If you want, you can continue booking other routes. When you finish, click on your shopping cart.
- Follow the indicated instructions and click on “Confirmation request”.
- A member of MBT will check if all services you are booking are available. Then a confirmation email will be sent to you.
- In that email we will provide you with a link to make the payment of 25% of the total. The remaining 75% to be paid on the day your activities start.
Hotels and restaurants associated
You can find a list of hotels and restaurants associated here.